Monday, June 11, 2007

Thomas to Saints: How's that new coach workin' out for you?

Former St Kilda coach Grant ‘The Guru’ Thomas today generously avoided putting the boots into his former club as they slumped to their fourth loss in a row with the finals now looking as likely as a gracious speech by Rod Butterss.

Thomas, who has refused repeated requests to perform a Nelson Muntz “Ha Ha!” down the phone to his former friend Butterss, instead chose to sympathise with current Saints coach Ross Lyon.

“He’s really perfected that hang-dog look that all St Kilda coaches come to use in press conferences. Ross is clearly wondering what’s hit him and I know Tim Watson would clearly relate to the sight of a talented team being put through the wringer by a pack of scrubbers like the Kangaroos”, Thomas said.

Thomas also played down the impact his constant stream of commentary on the Saints might be having on team morale. “I’m going to have to be on the telly or the radio every day if I’m going to pay off my million dollar debt to that low-life f…, um, current president,” he said.

“Nick Riewoldt and Luke Ball have offered to help me out and I hear the club’s putting in some new pokie machines so I should be back in the black soon.”